Saturday, June 25, 2011

Peace and Tranquility - Twin Lakes, Shohola, PA - June 21st-25th

In driving from Harrisonburg, VA to Shohola, PA, we drove through 4 states - Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.  It was well worth the travel.

I am relaxing and bonding with nature in the Township of Shohola, PA., which is a Native American word meaning "Peace and Tranquility."  And at this beautiful home of Auntie Barbara and Uncle Fayez Dahan on Twin Lakes, nothing could be truer. Auntie Barbara has been spending summers at Twin Lakes since she was a little girl. And her family bought this home in 1959.

Shohola was settled in the late 1700's and legally became a Township in 1852.  We are on a section of the Township that has two lakes, back-to-back, called Twin Lakes. Auntie Barbara's and Uncle's Fayez's home is on a road called "Between-the-lakes" - which it really is!   I can see both lakes from the house. 

Many of the homes around Twin Lakes are over 100 years old.  The author, Stephen Crane, lived at a home a couple of houses down from us during the late 1800's. It is here that he wrote, The Red Badge of Courage

The weather is much cooler and wet and EVERYTHING is GREEN!!!  I can run around without a leash.  Daddy and I took a long walk in something called "woods".  It's so much fun, and I'm so happy here.  Daddy tells me that it's "Nature."  I've even seen lightning bugs (fireflies).  These are really good bugs - fireflies eat other bugs, enjoy pollen, and drink from the dew. Mommy used to catch fireflies when she was a little girl and let them loose in the house at night.  I can see why my Carolina cousin, Panda, thinks fireflies are fun.


This is my Uncle Fayez.

Evening dock cocktails.

This is Auntie Barbara sitting beside Mommy and giving the thumbs up to us men.

Mommy says this reminds her of growing up on Lake Hickory, NC.

Daddy, in "Relax" mode!


The plants floating on the water are large leaves with white flowers called Lily Pads. Bullfrogs sit on the Lily Pads and bark funny.

I like "Cocktail Hour" and can get used to this. 
Lakeside Dining.

Auntie Barbara is a gourmet cook. Daddy wants to always make reservations here.


Anchors Away!

How cool is this?  This is me wistfully wishing the weather was always warm here. Then I'd convince Mommy & Daddy to move.

I helped Daddy take this beautiful photo of Auntie Barbara's and Uncle Fayez's house.

Luckily, we made it back to shore before it started raining.


After the rain, Daddy & I went back to the dock to fish.  I like this fishing thing. It's something I can really sink my teeth into.

Look what we caught!!!!


We've had a lot of rain since we've been here. Daddy & I walked to the little bridge to see the spillway.
 That's a LOT of water spilling over.  I better not go swimming in there. My life jacket is in Havasu.

Daddy was driving down the road and saw what seemed like a real live petting zoo - 1 deer, 1 skunk, 2 wild turkeys, and 3 squirrels.  It was a scene right out of Dr. Doolitle.


 On our last night at Twin Lakes, we went to a party. This is my new friend, Louie.

Here we all are - one big VERY HAPPY family!!!!

Leaving Auntie Barbara's & Uncle Fayez's house is sad. But they promise to come visit us in Havasu.



No comments:

Post a Comment