Friday, July 22, 2011

"Home Again, Home Again, Twiddle Dee Dee" - July 13th

We arrived home on July 13th after 41 days on the road.  KYOTEE (my minivan) traveled approximately 7000 miles, averaging 28 miles per gallon. Daddy's driven about 150 hours (a VERY long time for me to sit in a car). We've stayed in 16 hotels, a beautiful, picturesque home of friends on Twin Lakes in Shahola, PA and a condo overlooking Lake Dillon in Colorado.  I've ridden through 24 different States.


Highest gas price - $4.05 per gallon. Syosset, NY.

Lowest gas price - $3.39 per gallon. Memphis, TN.

Highest elevation - Top of the Rockies, National Scenic Byways, Colorado


Lowest elevation - Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Coldest temperature - 45 degrees, Dillon, Colorado

"Hm-m-m, snow"
Warmest temperature - 103 degrees, Memphis, TN (Now add humidity - Whew! That's hot.)  It's much hotter in Lake Havasu City, AZ now - but Memphis, TN was the hottest during our trip.

Daddy's standing outside BB King's place on Beale Street, Memphis, TN.

Funniest City Name - Toad Suck, Arkansas

I've traveled west to east - south to north - east to west.

Crossed the Mighty Mississippi, the Rio Grande, the Hudson river, the Delaware river, the Missouri river, the Ohio river, and the Chattahoochee river.  AND - we crossed the Colorado river many times - starting in Colorado!  How's that for a concept?

I crossed the Mason-Dixon Line between Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Stood on the Continental Divide in Colorado


And stood on the Continental Divide in New Mexico.


Traveled through the Big Apple (Manhattan, NYC)

This is the new Freedom Tower being built on the site of the World Trade Centers.

Visited the Brooklyn Brewery


And traveled through the Little Apple (Manhattan, Kansas)



We've been through areas plagued with smoke, fires, drought, flood, and tornado damage.




Daddy's driven through terrible rain and hail storms.
We were concerned this would turn into a tornado.


I've traveled through many cities on the Route 66 Song - 

I've been in Peach Springs, AZ on Route 66 that inspired the movie Cars.


I've also been on Route 66 in Santa Fe, NM.

I've met a Cowboy (this is really Sgt. Michael Proscia and he's riding a horse cross country to raise awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project) . . .

And I've met a horse.


I've also seen Prairie Dogs and Ground Hogs.

Driven through Punxsutawney, PA, but didn't see Phil.

Now I know what "Hay Doodles", "Kudzu" and a "Waffle House" are.


Kudzu is the vine that's taking over this house. It grows a foot a day.


We've seen the beauty of the Shenadoah Valley and what could be the inspiration for an Andrew Wyeth painting.


We've even see dinosaurs! They've been hiding in caves. You'd think someone would have looked for them there.



Luray Caverns, VA
There's also a lot of old abandoned structures speckled throughout our country that are quite beautiful.






Went fishing at Twin Lakes, PA with Daddy for the first time.



Discovered I have a restaurant.


Learned how to play lawn tennis.


Established "rules" for Daddy & Mommy to follow.


Saw many interesting houses.
Jerry Milne's house in Plymouth, CT was built by a Union Soldier after the Civil War.

House in Germantown, OH. Early 1800's.

Earthship. Taos, NM.

Golf Ball House. Yucca, AZ.


Watched fireworks over Lake Dillon, CO for the 4th of July.


In Santa Fe, I was able to pay homage to St. Francis, the patron saint who watches over me.


My car-sleeping positions rival the gymnastic abilities of Cirque du Soleil performers.




I now know what "condensation" looks like. It drips over everything!


I've met the King and Queen of Atlanta, GA.


Got stuck behind a lot of traffic (and we weren't even in NYC).


When we left Arizona, I packed Baby Bear, Hedgie and 1 tennis ball (all the other toys had to wait patiently at home).

During our travels, many other toys decided to join Baby Bear, Hedgie and me on our journey. We even had 5 more tennis balls join the team.  (And yes, all the toys have names. I know which one is which, and I count them. Sometimes, I arrange them in an orderly fashion - evenly spaced.)

Baby Bear did have an unfortunate accident somewhere in Virgina. Does anyone know an Orthopedic Surgeon?

I've met Aunts & Uncles and dozens of cousins (2-legged & 4-legged) and learned that we are blessed with many loving family and friends - even met new friends. 

As a recently rescued fur-baby, my greatest blessing was to return to Lake Havasu City and truly discover that "there's no place like home, there's no place like home."

From the bottom of my heart and with wags of my fluffy tail, thank you to all who have followed me on my blog for the past 41 days.




.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a scrap book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so cute, you should write a children's book and donate part of the profits to the humane society!

    ReplyDelete